Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Boys and Girls

I rented a bicycle in the afternoon and rode about 15 km outside of Yangshuo. Before I saw the painted wall in a small village in the pic (above), my little bike ride was all giggly kids and old men with toothless smiles and farms; and I was all like, man the air is fresh and clean and wouldn't it be nice to have a little place out here with chickens and water buffaloes and grow my own vegetables, it feels good to get out of the big city, get in touch with nature and a slower pace of life. The painted wall put an end to all that real fast -- it roughly translates as: “having a boy or a girl is the same, both are your heirs”. It was a needed kick to the groin reality check; this trip through the countryside ain’t gonna be no idyllic pastoral, that's for damn sure.

No comments: